Friday, July 29, 2011

Wrapping Up Week Six at the Y


 Critter U! Week Six


Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were all about saving animals.  SAVE, a local animal shelter, partnered with Critter Camp to teach campers about less fortunate animals and how to treat them wherever they go. In addition to SAVE sharing its tips, Therapy Dogs International brought in therapy dogs on Thursday and Friday and discussed with the campers the daily lives of these animals.

Wednesday, along with going to Howell Farm, Critters traveled to SAVE, an animal shelter located in Princeton.  There, campers saw how a homeless animal lives.  Critter Camper Elizabeth, nine years old, explains her experience at SAVE: “[The staff] let us play with all the kittens and puppies.”  Elizabeth knew that SAVE was a special place.  “It’s really cool how SAVE takes in any animal in need.  I want to adopt a pet now!”   
          Thursday and Friday brought therapy dogs to the Y to cap a week full of learning.  On Thursday, T.D.I. showed a sheep dog that was also used as a therapy dog.  As the campers admired the well behaved gentle animal, a T.D.I. representative detailed how she came to care for the dog, its transition from the shelter to normal life, and how one should treat the animal.  The representative also explained that therapy dogs are used to help in hospitals with those who have high blood pressure, are stroke victims, and to calm young children if they are scared.  John, an eight-year-old Critter Camper, spoke about what he learned from these visits on Thursday and Friday. “I thought I knew everything before, but I still learned a lot!  If I see a dog on the street, I should put my hand under them first, and then if it’s okay, I can pet them.  And, if I see a dog without a collar, I should get an adult right away.  I didn’t know that before!”
This week, Critter Camp had a blast learning about less fortunate animals.  Next week, Camp Chefs will be cooking up some tasty treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment